Thursday, November 28, 2013

Lost in translation

Who would have thought that translating my own book into my own language, would be such a difficult task.

It should be the easiest thing to do since I'm totally fluent in Spanish, but it is not. 

The problem is that I've surrounded myself mostly with English speaking people and hardly ever speak my own language. 

Sure, my daughter is bilingual as well, but does she talks to me in Spanish? no! she won't. Unless we are in talking to people who doesn't speak English. So it's a 'have to' matter only.

Sometimes I get frustrated and others, I just simply laugh at the sight of the both of us speaking to each other in two languages at the same time. I say something to her in Spanish and she'll answer in English. We are just weird. 

Even though I'm really glad I can do it, my goodness gracious! it is taking me longer to translate it than it took me to actually write it in English. 

The thing is  that is not so easy to find the right words to use. I know what I want to say, but to translate a phrase or an expression from one language to another, is totally different. There are expressions in a languages that made no sense when translated to another.  

Of course if I could focus on doing more typing and less other things it would go a whole lot faster. But I'm getting there. 21 more chapters and I'll be done! 

Easier said than done indeed.

Just in case someone would like a taste of it here is the link to TIED UP HEART English version.

www.amazon.com/dp/b0097j62q

Hope everyone out there is having a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment